Post-Grad Imposter Syndrome & 7 Ways to Overcome It



Note - made this one a while ago, but think it is still relevant. Hope it helps!

It’s been almost a whole year since completing my degree, and I thought I’d ticked all the ‘typical’ milestone checklist tickboxes. 
 
Graduated, check.
Moved out of my family home, check.
Secured a job in London, check.
 
Sounds great right? Even through all these incredible achievements, something still didn’t feel quite ‘right’. 
 
I’d noticed in my final year at university, I had this underlying feeling of self doubt worry. I didn’t think much of it, presuming everyone’s final year at uni felt the same - it seemed ‘normal’ to question your work and question what you were doing. 
 
I didn’t realise was that what I was experiencing was the beginnings of ‘Imposter Syndrome’.
 
I started to notice this self doubt cropping back up in interviews, feeling as if I was talking about someone who wasn’t even me, this self doubt knawing at my confidence. It felt like a constant battle of not feeling good or capable - even though this isn’t true at all.
 
Speaking recently to a few fellow creatives has made me realise that I am not alone in feeling this dreaded imposter syndrome, and this has been experienced by everyone at some point in their careers. 
 
I wanted to list some things that have helped other creatives (and myself) when they feel imposter syndrome striking, so here they are: 
 

1. Take a step back to look at the bigger picture 

 
Sometimes, a little bit of perspective is needed to realign our thoughts - I’ve done it before where I’ve been so wrapped up in what I’m doing that things can feel so much bigger than they are.
 
Taking that time to come away, have a breather, and revaluate things can be incredibly helpful. 
 

2. Talk to someone - be that a friend or colleague 

 
A problem shared is a problem halved!
 
Sometimes, having a chat with our loved ones or even our colleagues can help that heavy feeling off of our shoulders. Having a chat to a friend, or letting a colleague know how you’re feeling can be just what’s needed. 
 

3. Motivational talks… tell yourself you’ve got this! 

 
We all love a hype person - so it’s time to be your own! Getting your confidence up starts from your mindset, and how you want to talk to yourself.
 
So, tell yourself this - you have GOT THIS! 
 

4. Ask yourself ‘...but where is the proof?’ 

 
Feeling like you don’t believe you can do something? Or that you won’t do a good job? Then ask yourself, where is the proof I can’t do this? Where is the proof I won’t do a good job? 
 

5. Write down all your achievements - big or small (or even make a folder!) 

 
I know a few people who write down their successes - whether that’s something good someone has been told, or an achievement they are proud of.
 
Pop open your notes app, or make a folder in your photos, and collect all the moments that make you feel proud!
 

6. Remember you don’t need to be perfect

 
We are all human, and no one is perfect - don’t be your own worst critic or try and make yourself live up to impossible standards. 
 
It is ok to make mistakes. Done is always better than perfect. 
 

7. Keep going!

 
Imposter syndrome can be the thief of fun, and remembering why you started and pushing past this self doubt is so important (and of course not easy) to do. But it is so worth it. So keep going!

Maria :)

Post-Grad Imposter Syndrome & 7 Ways to Overcome It
Share