Alicante, August 2019


Hello! I've been quiet for a little while on here... university has taken over! I've been on a study trip (staying in a hostel and being unwell doesn't mix) and a literature essay chewed away at all my free time - yes, queue the violins. However, I wanted to share some pictures I took whilst I was away in Spain with a friend. Holiday >>> uni work? No competition!


We stayed in an apartment her family own, in a lovely, friendly little community. It was so warm outside it was absolutely insane, although as soon as you walked into the apartment you felt like you'd wandered into a walk-in fridge. It was brilliant.

We stayed there for a week, with some of my favourite times being sitting by the pool with a book. I read 'This Is Going To Hurt' by Adam Kay while I was away, which I couldn't put down. And I wish I could read for the first time all over again.

Proof that the markets in Spain are INCREDIBLE



We went to a market in El Campbello, which was around a half an hour walk through town. The walk in the midday heat was horrid, but it was completely worth it to see this brilliant underground market place full of people and life.

Outside, there were more markets selling clothes, hats and quite literally everything under the sun! I picked up a little fan, and we also got THE BEST chicken from a stall with a queue that probably could've been a walk as far as back to England. No. Regrets.

Pizza slices bigger than my head...

The first evening we walked down a promenade of shops, which was about a 15 minute walk from where we were staying. We grabbed some pizza from Popeye's, and headed to the beach. They do crazy big slices!

I was very nervous I was going to accidentally order the tuna one... however I lived another day avoiding that! I was too preoccupied with making sure I didn't accidentally eat sand to take a picture... I cannot confirm or deny if I did or didn't. I might've.

To the left of this shot is an escalator down to the beach - mind blown




Almost an outfit shot... almost



One of my favourite images from the whole trip

The next day, we headed East to a little town about an hour away of where we were staying. It was literally SO boiling I was grateful to discover the trams in Spain have air con! Once there, we beelined to a market two minutes from the tram stop, and I picked up a few bracelets and had a general nosey around - a market is my guilty pleasure favourite thing to do while away. The market was covered with sheets of thin linen to create a nice bit of shade, and even though it was still hot, it was a really nice experience.

Later on, we explored around a tour of a chocolate factory (I know, you read that correctly - wtf?!) and headed to the beach, where there was an escalator outside on the way down to it. Mad scenes.

We went back another day, to explore around the town a bit more, and got some lovely pictures of the houses - as seen above.


Another favourite shot of mine - a squished blue house/apartments


How sweet?!










I am such a night owl - the midnight markets were SO COOL


We also hopped over to Alicante a couple times, grabbing dinner and ice cream on different occasions. Again, we looked around the late night markets. I loved being up so late, being someone who stays up pretty late myself, it was a really odd experience to see so many others still up too.

It also cooled down a ton, making it more bearable to look around, and my friend bought a few little pieces of artwork for her room in the apartment. We chatted to the couple who sold her the artwork and they were so friendly and sweet, I wish I'd gotten their names! 

We sat by the docks both times we went as it was so calming and beautiful, and even managed to charm my way into a McDonald's to make sure I experienced all the culture (insert sarcasm). The second time we visited, we explored the Santa Barbara Castle - it was honestly one of the most beautiful views I've ever seen from the top.

Look. At. The. View.

The city is so beautiful, I'd definitely go back.



Hope you enjoyed the photo spam! 

Until next time,
Maria x
Alicante, August 2019
Share